Monday, May 17, 2010

Gluten-Free, Why Me?

Who:  Me and the little ones
What:  We will be cutting out gluten, high fructose corn syrup, MSG, and caffeine.
When:  I was going to do this for a week to see how we did, but after some extensive research I discovered that is takes at least 3 weeks to notice a difference in behaviour and in the way we feel.  So we will start today and go until June 7th.  If it has made a difference, we will continue on with this good nutrition.
Where:  This means that we will be eating all of our meals at home.  I am not going to chance going to restaurants and not knowing the ingredients. 
Why:  For the past few years I have noticed that my oldest son has had behavioral issues, such as hyperactivity, adhd like symptoms, constant tummy trouble, and sometimes he lashes out at us out of nowhere.  I however would like to do this because I have struggled with depression, lethargy, migraines, IBS, muscle twitches, and unexplained bruising.  My little one is going to go along for the ride, well, because it is healthier, and he deserves it.  The Rockstar however will continue eating wheat products and drinking caffeine.
How:  Let me share with you a few websites that have helped to change my life.  First of all where I found most of the side affects of gluten, high fructose corn syrup, and other additives http://www.healthyeatingadvisor.com/food-labels.html
next since I do all of my shopping at Kroger, I found these helpful pdf.s that will make it easier and cheaper to eat healthy and gluten-free!!
http://www.kroger.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/healthyliving/Naturally%20Gluten%20Free%20Products.pdf
http://www.kroger.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/pharmacy/GlutenList.pdf
and thirdly, here are a couple of blogs that have come in handy to find family friendly recipes and support
http://nancysplace.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/thirteen-things-i-hate-about-being-gluten-free/
http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com
So tonight when I post the blog about how the day went... Ill let you know the products I used and what were the tastiest!!  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

CJ said...

I noticed today that you are a follower of my blog...Thank you! I'm putting your posted websites under my favorites. It is not easy to go gluten free. I purchased some (expensive) brown rice bread the other day and I can not eat it...it tastes terrible! Although I do like the pasta. I love oatmeal, so I've been making my own granola to replace Kashi go-lean. I also like steel-cut oatmeal. The Blue Diamond Nut-Thins are really good! Good Luck with your Gluten Free journey ;}

Unknown said...

MMmm... I want to try the nut-thins... thank you for puting me in your faves... Any advice would be helpful!! :)